Healthgrades has named Stony Brook University Hospital as one of America’s 50 Best Hospitals for Cardiac Surgery™, now for two years in a row, and one of America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Cardiac Care™ for nine consecutive years. Stony Brook is one of only two hospitals in NYS to be named among America's 100 Best Hospitals for Cardiac Care for nine years in a row.
Top-Rated Cardiac Care
Stony Brook University Hospital was also recognized by Healthgrades for the following clinical achievements:
- America’s 50 Best Hospitals Award (2023)
- Cardiac Care Excellence Award™ for 9 Years in a Row (2015-2023)
- Cardiac Surgery Excellence Award™ for 3 Years in a Row (2021-2023)
- Top 5% in the Nation for Overall Cardiac Services for 3 Years in a Row (2021-2023)
- Top 10% in the Nation for Overall Cardiac Services for 9 Years in a Row (2015-2023)
- Top 10% in the Nation for Cardiac Surgery for 3 Years in a Row (2021-2023)
- Top 10% in the Nation for Cardiology Services for 9 Years in a Row (2015-2023)
- Five-Star Recipient for Coronary Bypass Surgery for 3 Years in a Row (2021-2023)
- Five-Star Recipient for Valve Surgery for 3 Years in a Row (2021-2023)
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Heart Attack for 2 Years in a Row (2022-2023)
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Heart Failure for 10 Years in a Row (2014-2023)
Commitment to Quality
Every year, Healthgrades — a leading online resource that connects consumers, physicians and health systems — evaluates hospital performance at nearly 4,500 hospitals nationwide for 31 of the most common inpatient procedures and conditions.
“This well-deserved recognition is a reflection of Stony Brook Heart Institute's quality cardiac care, and its important role in enhancing the lives of our patients, their families and the community,” says Hal Paz, MD, Executive Vice President, Health Sciences, Stony Brook University.
“This national recognition exemplifies the Heart Institute's dedication to delivering the highest standards of care to our patients — whether a cardiac emergency or an existing condition,” says Carol Gomes, Chief Executive Officer, Stony Brook University Hospital.
Raising the Bar for Cardiac Care
"Being recognized as among America's 50 best for cardiac surgery coupled with the Heart Institute's top three-star rating from the Society of Thoracic Surgeons demonstrates our collective commitment to bringing the best in heart care to Long Island," says Henry J. Tannous, MD, Co-Director, Heart Institute, Chief, Cardiothoracic Surgery and General T.F. Cheng Chair, Cardiothoracic Surgery, Renaissance School of Medicine, Stony Brook University.
"At Stony Brook Heart Institute, we are dedicated to continuously raising the bar for cardiac diagnosis and treatment so that Long Islanders benefit," says Hal Skopicki, MD, PhD, Co-Director, Heart Institute, Chief, Cardiology and Ambassador Charles A. Gargano Chair, Cardiology, Renaissance School of Medicine, Stony Brook University. "We are pleased to be consistently recognized on a national and regional basis for what matters most — delivering excellence in outcomes and quality of life to our patients with heart disease."
Stony Brook University Hospital was also recognized by the American Heart Association’s Get With The Guidelines®-Heart Failure Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award for the past five years. The Heart Institute continuously makes strides to bring more advanced cardiac diagnosis and treatment to Long Island patients, including the expansion of its Cardiac Catheterization (Cath) and Electrophysiology (EP) Advanced Multifunctional Laboratory. The Heart Institute also added the Center for Advanced Lipid (Cholesterol) Management, the first of its kind in Suffolk County.