You, the patient, are at the heart of our work, and we build every aspect of our cardiac care program around your needs.
We continually strive to improve our clinical outcomes and processes. Recent highlights include:
- We reduced our door-to-balloon time (period of time between patient arrival and angioplasty to clear blockages) to an all-time low of 53 minutes, well below the national standard of 90 minutes.
- We enhanced CT imaging capabilities with an advanced reconstruction technology that enables clinicians to capture high-quality images while reducing patient radiation exposure by up to 40%.
- We became the first on Long Island to provide "destination therapy" for heart failure using the ventricular assist device (VAD), and we are the only VAD program on Long Island to be continously certified by The Joint Commission since 2011, signifying our high-quality care.
- We were among the first in the country to advance a new lifesaving treatment for aortic stenosis, called transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR), benefiting hundreds of patients in Suffolk County.
- Our nuclear cardiology service is responsible for performing diagnostic exercise and pharmacologic stress testing in over 2,500 patients each year, using state-of-the-art multihead single-photon emission computed tomography (SPECT) equipment. The SPEC-CT combines a nuclear medicine camera with a CT scanner in order to produce a more precise image that improves patient care.
Quality care and patient satisfaction is another important part of our community:
- Community outreach moves forward, which includes mentoring community youth for the HOPE program as well as community education events.
- We are able to measure the quality of the care we deliver and patient satisfaction because we are granted numerous accreditations and honors from major healthcare organizations, including The Joint Commission and the American Heart Association. View a sampling of the awards and accolades the Heart Institute has received.
In terms of recognition of our expertise:
- We continue to enjoy high reliability and safety ratings, as well as invitations for our clinicians to present their cutting-edge research at conferences worldwide.
If you have questions or would like to learn more, please contact us at (631) 44-HEART (444-3278).